Tuesday, September 3, 2013

August 2013

Welcome Back!  Well that summer flew by…  Atlanta had a remarkably cool and rainy summer-which was refreshing!  Before summer officially wrapped up here at the Douglas house, we were thrilled to host Natalie (one of my very best friend’s out of Chicago) and her 3 girls on a last minute trip.  We figured, heck, both of our husband’s are gone—let’s play!  Natalie and I were both congratulating each other the entire time for being so spontaneous, something neither of us are known for!IMG_3967

We did White Water, the World of Coke, swimming at Sugarloaf, pedicures, and a Braves game—squeezing every bit of fun out of their 4 day visit.  It’s so fun to see Jackson and Cali growing up together.  They really get along so well!  All of our children line up pretty perfectly actually!

IMG_3982

IMG_3978

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3977

IMG_4008

And the biggest news of the month is that the kids started school!  We decided to give public school another chance (mainly bc it was either that or homeschool again)—and we are so glad we did—the kids are THRIVING!  I really couldn’t be happier.  The Sunday before their teachers were ‘revealed,’ we fasted as a family for the children to get strong teachers.  I really had put it out of my mind all summer, but the week we were going to ‘meet the teacher,’ I started getting nervous.  That’s when Jackson said “Mom, don’t worry, we fasted about it.”  Such faith, and he was exactly right!  Jackson got the best teacher in first grade, quite possibly the entire school.  And He, Is. In. LOVE.  It’s really adorable.  I wish I could track how many times he says ‘Ms. Nickerson this, and Ms. Nickerson that’ after school and on the weekends. And I love that she challenges him in math, reading, spelling, everything.  We are truly impressed (and blessed)!IMG_4016

And Taylor.  For some crazy reason, we worried about whether or not she could handle ‘all-day’ school.  At really the last minute we decide to ditch the private half-day preschool (she has been attending for 2 years—tIMG_4011hat we love) and send her with big brother to the full day, free, public pre-k.  And I’m telling you, that little 4 year old walks through the school like she owns the place—assuming that everyone will love her.  We admire her vivaciousness and confidence!  She loves the specials (p.e.; art; music; library), loves playing on the huge playground, loves eating in the cafeteria, and LOVES the bus ride.  She sits by another little girl on the way home and is so engrossed in conversation everyday, that when the bus gets to our stop you hear the driver yelling “TAYLOR!!  Get up honey, you’re home!” 

IMG_4023

When Jackson has a play date after school, she finds bus 8 and gets on by herself.  No problem, way too independent!

Taylor has a first year teacher (Ms. Drevik) and a seasoned assistant teacher (Ms. Gramby).  Ms. Drevik is young!  She was cute, when I met her she said “I’m not engaged, I don’t even have a boyfriend, I am going to throw whole self into this class.”  I love that early on she noticed Taylor could read, so she assessed her reading level, and has provided ‘good-fit books’ for Taylor to read during nap-time everyday.  She figured out how to make this mama happy!  :-)SAM_0087

IMG_4012

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4048

 

 

IMG_4047

 

 

 

 

And yep, Jackson lucked out and got his best buddies, Hamilton and Noah in his class.

So from 7:30-2:30 each day, it’s just me and the big guy.  EIMG_4028ven though Grant asks for Taylor (Tah-Tah) and Jackson (Wah-Wah) each day, I think he is loving having me all to himself.  Every morning we either go on a run to a park, attend a church play group, or go to Barnes and Nobles.  Then he takes a nap while I clean/workout/shower/house business/have a few minutes to myself.  It almost feels sinful to have 3 uninterrupted hours each day (without kiddos)!IMG_3952

 

 

IMG_4022

 

 

 

So what am I doing with my little extra time?  Well while Natalie is embarking on a rigorous pre-med program up in Chicago, I am using the time to make fun after school snacks :-).  Here are my latest creations:IMG_4050IMG_4078

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And Scotty is doing well.  Still crazy busy with work.  In fact our 8 year anniversary came and went this month without much of a word.  However, he promised to take me to Hawaii after this case (hopefully October), so all will be forgiven.  :-)  We actually just had a really rejuvenating 4 day Labor Day weekend up at the lake (will report on next month); so we sent him back into battle well-rested and well-fed!IMG_2187

IMG_2190

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2192

IMG_2230

IMG_3957

 

 

 

 

 

Oh and another highlight of the month was that it was BCG’s ‘Bring Your Kid to Work Day.’  One of their favorite days of the year!  Jackson gets to play chess and foosball with all the BCG guys and Taylor loves the arts and crafts, movie, and ice-cream sundaes!  This year did not disappoint!IMG_2167

And as a finale to the month, Dad turned 60!  We wanted to do a huge party at the new lake house, but it wasn’t quite ready…next year!  So this year we had a delicious meal at Hal’s Steakhouse in Buckhead and presented Dad with a scrapbook reviewing his 60 years—complete with letters written by family members and close friends.  There was a lot of love for him in that book.  As you can imagine, Dad ate it up!  Tearful and thankful!  So it was definitely worth the effort…IMG_4058

IMG_4060

IMG_4059

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What a wonderful month.  Much love from us to you,

TFK

No comments: