Beloved Family and Friends! Welcome back to the latest TFK edition! For us, September has brought school and soccer. I am LOVING (almost to the point of feeling guilty) having a few free mornings a week while the kids are at preschool. It’s the cutest little preschool at a Methodist church. The teachers are excellent, and I really like the play-based curriculum—yes, below that is Jackson practicing zipping a zipper. (Fortunately he gets a little academic rigor at home!). When the kids hop out of the van in the carpool line, the teachers report that Jackson always walks Taylor all the way in her room, helps her hang her bag on the hook, squats down, gives her a big hug and says “I love you sissy, I’ll be right upstairs.” I’m tearing up writing this!
In the picture at the top, Jackson is sharing with his class the talk he gave in primary (Sunday School) this month. The references to modern-day prophets and quotes from the D&C were just the bit of excitement his class needed :). I guess Ms. Tracy’s face says it all!
While Jackson goes 5 mornings a week, Taylor only goes 2. On Friday, I do Joy School with her, rotating teaching with women in the ward. Why you wonder?…I have no idea. Taylor does love it, and is Miss Bossy “Eat your strawberry Carter!” “Sing Lincoln!” “Give me that Hazel!” Nobody seems to object they just fall in line and obey.
Now for someone who doesn’t care for soccer, the season has been surprisingly fun! We got off to a rough start. In the first game, Jackson cried, no sobbed, the entire time—despite being the only one on the team to score a goal—and 3 at that! However, the other team KILLED us! I guess he wasn’t prepared for so much resistance (plus our other good player wasn’t there)! However, it was a good lesson, and it has only gone up from there. He plays hard the entire game and typically scores 8-9 goals. He has even requested a soccer birthday party instead of a baseball one this year—gasp!
The news (or history) of the month was Jackson’s tonsils. We noticed he had been snoring at night for the last month, then he started making snoring sounds during the day while he was awake! I Googled it, took him to the ENT, and surgery was scheduled within the week. It all happened so fast. But I mean, look at those tonsils! How was he even breathing??
Fortunately my parents were able at the last minute to take Taylor for the weekend up to the Lake with them. Here she is swimming at the Lake Burton Club.
What was Jackson’s last requested meal (before the surgery)? McDonalds? Pizza? Oh no no—sushi. So sushi it was! With Scotty at work, and Tay at the lake, Jackson called it our “Japanese Date Night.”
All smiles…not for long.
Not feeling well
Going home present (soccer guys)
taking it easy…
We are currently on day 6 of post-op. They said days 5-8 would be the toughest, and they were right. Neighbors and church friends have been so kind, bringing all kinds of activities to occupy him and frozen treats to help numb the pain. The poor kid is wasting away! I feel like he is living on Lortab and popsicles. He is lethargic, has no appetite, and is constantly in pain. Come on day 10!
Here is Taylor in her Dora big-girl-bed for the first night—oh wait, she lasted about 30 seconds before the walked right out the door. After 3 attempts it was back to the crib, not that she minded, she LOVES her crib. Looks like baby brother might spend the first year of his life in a pack n’ play!
Before the tonsil drama, I was able to slip away for a girls weekend. We went to a friends lake house and basically wakeboarded (or surfed for us pregnant people), competed in wii dancing, and talked. It was divine.
In the meantime, Scott and Jackson “camped” out on the trampoline (and brought the monitor out to keep tabs on sleeping Tay). This is also when Scott noticed Jackson’s breathing was really labored; alerting us to get him checked out…Just another example of the Lord’s hand in everyday life. When I returned, Jackson asked “when will all the moms need a break again?” Ha! a.k.a. having you not here was really FUN!
Jackson continues to play chess, and is signed up for his first tournament next month. This is the local Barnes and Nobles team. He has mastered the Queen’s raid!
And Scotty is working late nights, but has a great manager, got a great review, and is home every night—so no complaints here. The cruise company that he work for on the last project, called to offer him a position. Flattering, but, Miami isn’t Atlanta.
I think that covers the highlights. We wish you all a wonderful October, such a glorious time of year!
Love,
TFK
1 comment:
Love love love your family! We need to get together soon!!!
Post a Comment