Sunday, October 11, 2015

September 2015

IMG_3656

September started with Labor Day at the lake!  My parents were in Greece, so the house was open.  Scott has remained close with one of his favorite companions from the mission, Jeff Cuthbertson “Cubi.”  I adore his wife Jess, and our kids are similar ages/genders, so it works beautifully.IMG_3665

Apple picking after church.IMG_3674

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3666

IMG_3671

IMG_3678

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The board finally hit the dust!  IMG_9516

IMG_9514

IMG_9518

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_9524

 

 

IMG_3657

 

 

 

The fire got away from us :-/  Thank goodness for good neighbors who ran out to the dock to warn us (we were on the boat).

IMG_9539

On the way home from the lake we stopped to hike Tallulah Gorge. The next weekend I made caramel apples from the apples we picked for all of our friends.IMG_9571

Grant Grant started pre-schoIMG_9493ol this month.  He goes 3 mornings a week to Chamblee Methodist Kindergarten (CMK).  His teacher is so fun!  Ms. Patti Payne has already had them finger painting with chocolate pudding, making apple pie, and mixing colors by rolling golf balls through paint. 

The only hang up is that he doesn’t like using the bathroom at school because “It’s a baby potty” (smaller/lower toilet).  So after a couple of days of swerving to the side of the road and letting him pee in the grass on the way home, I finally got smart and bribed him—Chick-fil-a ice cream for going potty at school!IMG_9607

IMG_9494

 

 

 

From 1-2 pm every weekday is my hour with Grant.  During this time Pierce is sleeping and the kids are at school.  I try to read to him, have him learn some aspect of reading, something involving math, basketball, soccer, and bike riding.  And this has been a big month for him!  He has learned how to ride his bike without training wheels, knows all his blends, and is getting pretty good at soccer and basketball.  Thankful I have this time with just him before the kids get home in the afternoon.  IMG_9659IMG_9615

Pierce’s month was a little more rough.  He got a nasty double ear infection that landed him/us in the ER with a 105.2 fever.  Scott was out of town and when the thermometer read 104.1 I had seen enough and loaded Pierce into the van at 8:30pm.  Luckily our babysitter came right over and Jeff relieved her at 10 or so.

IMG_9596

IMG_9595

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He is still so happy and sweet.  We are trying to savor every moment with our final baby.  He is now 13 months and hasn’t started walking so he still seems more baby-like—which is fine by me!  Instead of crawling every where he prefers to bear crawl on his feet and hands.

IMG_9627

IMG_9589

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_9554

Taylor is full swing into soccer.  She moved up a league this year and has been surprisingly aggressive! 

She has now started cruising through the Percy Jackson series.  Unfortunately, she has completely adopted the Greek gods/goddesses as deity that she worships.  “I know you don’t believe in the mythology gods, but I do.”  I tried not to freak out when she added “And I don’t believe in Jesus Christ.”  non-reactive parenting, non-reactive parenting, non-reactive parenting.  So hard sometimes!  Scott just laughs and tells her she is exploring, I’m hoping he’s right and it’s just a phase.

Oh and as if that wasn’t shocking enough, she insisted on having her favorite boy (Reef) over for a play date.  I have a feeling I’m in for a ride with this girl!!IMG_9649IMG_9645

IMG_3692

IMG_9612

IMG_9579

IMG_9588

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jackson has a good group of peers.   Feel blessed that they both are having a great social experience.  Jackson is playing soccer, and practicing basketball two nights a week in the ‘hood.’  It’s making him tougher, and very aggressive as well.

IMG_9600

Jackson got his first poor grade (75) on a math quiz.  It kind of woke us up!  I’ve always completely taken his math performance for granted, but now I’m on high alert!  He and his friend Hamilton are in the highest group in a grade above for math, and if they don’t maintain an A they head back to 3rd grade math.  Fortunately the only times he is missing problems is when he’s careless/sloppy.  His last quiz was a 90—missing a problem bc he didn’t estimate before multiplying.  He’s getting there!!!IMG_9599

Oh, and Grant’s level of idolization for Jackson has reached an all time high.  Tall socks and all!IMG_9635

IMG_9619

Now that the company out in AK is fixed :-) Scott has moved on to fixing a restaurant company.  And although the partner on this case is very effective, he is so much more laid back than the last partner.  Which makes Scott more laid back, which makes me more laid back, which make us very appreciative towards BCG.  We have also had to do some “research” by trying out this restaurant and all of its competitors.  I think it would be prudent to test multiple locations!!IMG_9507

Grant took this picture, so we don’t have a perfect shot of Isabel, but one can still tell how gorgeous the newest addition to the Douglas clan is!!IMG_9602

And I got released from my calling at church and got a new calling!  Instead of Shepherding Chair (welcoming new families into the ward), I am now the Beehive Advisor (12-13 year old young women’s teacher).

I have never been in Young Women’s, so I am very excited to figure out how this program works.  I will have 6 girls I get to teach, and I want to be a great leader to them. 

I’ve talked to a lot of friends from around the country about how to be influential in these girl’s lives and what I keep hearing is “just love them.”

Other than that, just trying to keep up.  The week Pierce was sick, I completely fell off the early morning scripture reading train—and I could feel the difference!IMG_9664

I actually finished the book for book club this month—Tuck Everlasting.  Let’s forget that this is at a 4th grade reading level and no more than 150 pages, and focus on the fact that I actually accomplished that!  This month we are reading Isabella: The Warrior Queen.  21 hours on audible, which would be a miraculous feat.

Here is one quote from a talk given at church, that basically says we are happy when we’re working.  I believe it!

Lots of love,IMG_9575

TFK

No comments: