Hola from Dominican Republic! Like last year, our family was blessed to spend the Christmas holiday with Grandma Becky and Grandpa John—who are halfway through their 3 year mission in DR.
All of the factors made it an unforgettable and memory filled week. We are so grateful for John and Becky’s generosity. I love when my kids are around them because they are such good role models! Similar to last year, it was fascinating to see and learn about their lives, and how they are leading over 220 young missionaries from around the world. They are both filled with the happiness that comes from serving others. It was also particularly impressive to hear how Becky’s Spanish has progressed; although she denies it, she is completely fluent!
Christmas morning was complete with a visit from a Dominican Santa and his elf-- both bearing presents (and shouting Merry Christmas with a very heavy Spanish accent)—the kids didn’t know what to think, it was hysterical.
It was a very Merry Christmas! Taylor received a mermaid fin (which she has been hoping for since summer), and ballet lessons. Grant got a ton of construction trucks. Santa brought Jackson three new games on the ipad (mindcraft, kingdom rush frontiers, and tetris). And very un-Scott like, he bought me a Kate-Spade clutch. Neither of us have ever cared about brands, but after Scott completed a top-secret designer case at work, he is much more in-tune with that scene. You should have heard him at the airport people watching “louis vuitton purse, dolce and gabbana sun glasses, tori burch shoes, Michael Kors shirt etc…” On the whole we still think paying ridulous amounts of money for brands, is well, ridiculous. However, just like all the women he interviewed, I do feel a slight sense of power/quality when I have it. Moral of the story—every once in a while it’s fun!
One of the days we headed to Ocean World, similar to Sea World (2nd world version). They had a fun sea lion show, fast slides, and a giant bird cage (Taylor’s favorite).
Our final adventure was an excursion called “27 waterfalls.” Basically you climb to the top of a mountain, and you ride/slide (or jump) down 27 waterfalls until you reach the bottom. I’ve never done anything like it and we were proud of Trey and Jackson for being so brave!
At one point during the trip we paused our self-indulgence :-) to serve the community a little bit. A couple of us brought some presents from the States, and gave them out to about 10 families on Christmas Eve. Great experience for us all!
Before we left for DR we celebrated Christmas with my side of the family. Dad made fried shrimp, mom gave a toast, and there were presents to go around!
No Christmas is complete without a last minute, large, unexpected present from Papa O. This year, the kids got a zinger (jr. 4 wheeler). It is the neighborhood hit!
And those are the main highlights. I want to thank everyone for their prayers for Jackson, knock on wood, but his headaches and dizziness seem to have disappeared! Praise God!
Scott is still running the cruise project in Miami, and while we are freezing in Atlanta, he is enjoying 70 degree weather! He is such a great husband and Dad, I miss having him around. I have to get use to him working again after all of our vacationing!
Grant’s 2 loves currently are Beee trucks, aka big trucks (no surprise there), and basketball “Mommy see that BEEE shot??”
Taylor seems to be entering another dramatic/highly sensitive phase, which always provides a good opportunity for me to practice my patience. Just yesterday I happened to casually mention “Do you want to play with the same soccer team again this year?” Immediately sobbing and arm flailing begin “Why do you always sign me up for soccer????? I have said a thousand times I want to do ballet!!!” To with I responded “How about you do ballet and soccer?” She straightened her back, put her chin in the air and stated with a sense of poise “That will be fine.” Somebody find this girl an acting class quick!
I’m doing well, feeling so blessed to have visited 2 balmy places recently! Also in December, I was able to help throw a baby shower for one of my good friends (and 3 year college roommate), Mayer. Mayer looks adorable pregnant, no shocker there, and is expecting a very lucky little girl in February.
We are thankful to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ during this Christmas season. What a wonderful year. Love TFK
No comments:
Post a Comment